Pages

February 6, 2014

#Peace - Delighting in Obedience

Today I am combining two of the suggested topics from the Made to Crave Online Bible Study:

Is it possible to make peace with the realities of our bodies?  

...and...

How will I delight in living in obedience to God, and not place my delight on numbers?

http://mywonderfullymade.blogspot.com/2012/06/good-scales.html
You see, I have lived both of these topics in my life, and it seems just natural for me to think of them as combined into one.

Making peace with the reality of my body has been a recent development. For all of my working memory, I have disliked, loathed, even hated my body. And, by extension, hated God for giving me this particular body with its various "issues".

Like clothes that never fit correctly.

Like stares from adolescent boys as I was maturing from a young girl into a young woman. And their teasing.

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/R/rockwell/rockwell_mirror.jpg.html
Like the dissatisfaction from not measuring up to the standards I was bombarded with by popular media.

Like feeling like the ugly sister. (Sorry, Cheryl, but I am admitting truth here.)

Like wishing to hide from the eyes and the judgement of the world (real or imagined).

So what has changed? Why do I no longer feel this way? How did I make peace with the reality of my body?

I began to love God, I mean REALLY LOVE GOD! It took the total submission of my pride in order to find the place of total surrender to God's will. And the love and gratitude just followed.

It sounds so simple. It's just like my dear friend and teacher Teren Sechrist said a few years ago, when a believer's heart is changed, then their thoughts will change, and then their actions will change, all part of the transformation from sinner to saint. Sanctification. Refinement.

I suppose I have reached a level of maturity as a Christian. I really do rejoice in the reality that God gave me a perfect body!

But looking in the mirror at the size of my body, and looking at blood work results from the lab, well those things tell the whole story, that I have not loved my body as I should have loved this precious gift from God.


That is my real motivation in joining the Made to Crave study.

It's taken the birth of my three granddaughters to make me realize that I have been shortening my life by neglecting my health. And I want to stick around and watch them grow! You can see their pictures on this page, those lovely girls! I want to teach them that they are precious, and that God created them, and that they are loved by Him unconditionally.

So, I came to this study three weeks ago already loving my body, not necessarily liking what it has become, but loving it nonetheless.

As far as living in obedience to God, well that is a great struggle. But it one that I am making progress with!

 James 1: 23-24 "For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like." ESV

http://breathinmybones.tumblr.com/post/42195762929/but-if-you-look-carefully-into-the-perfect-law
In my mirror I see Linda who thinks she can hide from Coram Deo, living in the face of God, 

~who thinks she can act in disobedience by eating whatever she wants to eat whenever she wants to eat it, 

~who thinks that she can distract herself with worldly distractions,

~who thinks she can be sedentary and will still have clear arteries and a well-functioning brain.

The difference with looking in the mirror today from looking at it in the past is that I see the sinner in the mirror. I see a believer who is not a doer when it comes to taking care of herself.

And, at the same time, along with my own image in that mirror, I see God looking back at me. Reminding me that He loves me and that despite my continuing sin He will continue to love me as his child.

I am tracking my weight and posting it in the kitchen. I measure my progress by honest, personal reflection at bedtime. I look back at my day and count the times I chose to bring glory to God with my choice of an activity or food.

I have ceased defining myself by numbers. Instead, I am gauging the progress of my sanctification by the amount of satisfaction I feel from knowing that I am pleasing my Father in heaven. 

http://spoonerdelivery.com/deliver/salad/







http://theycallmeteddy.deviantart.com/art/Perfection-within-Imperfection-145243481

I love God, and I love myself enough to accept my imperfections as perfect in God's eyes, and that is enough for me, for the rest of my life.

http://www.christianwallpapersfree.com/2013/04/2-timothy-1-7-bible-verse-background.html

13 comments:

  1. I love, love your words, your photos and your insights! Thanks so much for sharing! We will be victorious with God helping us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thankful that you took the time to leave a comment. God bless!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post! Thank you for sharing your journey. You have blessed and encouraged me in mine:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting and commenting. God bless you!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the encouraging post. Isn't it great to know God loves us just as we are, but loves us too much to leave us there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great thought!! Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  4. Love this! I plan to check in regularly...keep writing...miss you lots!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We miss you, too, and thanks for commenting. Love you!!

      Delete
  5. Beautifully written. It's very raw and I appreciate you sharing your struggle. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the 2 Timothy 1:7 Bible verse. "For God has not given us a Spirit of fear but of power, love, and self-discipline." This is so perfect for our study. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for visiting my blog because that's how I found yours! Great insights :) It sounds like you have a wonderful family...keep working hard for them! God bless ~ Miriam (of http://cravingsconfidential.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My name is Sara and I am the small group leader for group 43. Thank you so much for sharing your blog with us! It is difficult to not define yourself by numbers but rather to trust in God completely. I love the inspiration throughout your blog and I look forward to reading your future blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Linda..............thanks! I have done Lysa's study........so good! www.soulcare4u.com

    ReplyDelete

As always, feedback for any post is greatly appreciated.