Pages

February 27, 2014

#Courage in the Face of Temptation

"But Lord, how can I possibly resist this chocolate fountain right in front of me? The aroma of the melted chocolate is making me swoon with the desire for just one little taste!"
chocofountainco.bravesites.com
That will be me tomorrow evening. The ladies' ministry at my home church is hosting over 150 women at a mini-retreat tomorrow and into Saturday. Directly following the teaching portion of the evening tomorrow night, ladies will gather together for refreshments and a "Thrift Store Fashion Show".

Who in the world thought it will be a good idea to have two chocolate fountains, surrounded by mounds of fruits, cookies, and marshmallows available for dipping?! And I am a lady who is a chocolate-lover, make no mistake about that! 

God has seen that I need 1Corinthians 10:12-13 today!! I have been repeating those verses over and over today, to strengthen me and give me the #courage to say "NO!" to the chocolate fountains.

In 1Corinthians 10:1-11, Paul has just finished relating to his readers several examples of how the Jews (he refers to them as "our fathers" in 1Cor. 10:1) had succumbed to the temptation to turn away from God during a time of crisis. With that background setting the scene, Paul is now ready to instruct those he considers "brothers", fellow Christians, on how they are to react to temptation. Here is the wisdom of Paul in 1Corinthians 10:12-13:
http://scripturebypicture.com

12 Therefore vlet anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. 13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. wGod is faithful, and xhe will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. (ESV)

Therefore - Since you know these things I've told you about, now listen to this which I am going to say next.
anyone who thinks - using their own knowledge; believes; understands
stands - any person up on their own feet
take heed - look out!
lest he fall. - they may unknowingly be ready to fall down
temptation - trial, being put to the test
overtaken - been put upon a person
common to man - an experience that is the same for every person on earth 
God is faithful - is full of faith, is trustful
tempted beyond your ability - past the point of resistance
he will also provide - God sees a need and gives what is needed
way of escape - an avenue by which to flee the temptation
may be able to endure it - the ability to stand fast in the face of temptation 
http://dvolente.tumblr.com

I am so curious to discover what means of escape God will be providing for me. I will have the #courage to say "NO"!

Praise Him!!


5 comments:

  1. :-) great blog, and I have no doubt that God will give you the #courage to just say no. OBS group leader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have full confidence in God's plan of escape for me tomorrow! Thanks, Rosemary!

      Delete
  2. LINDA!!!! You can do it :) I don't know what boundaries you and Christ have worked out regarding this chocolate fountain...but in Him - ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE ! Best wishes, sister! ~ Miriam of http://cravingsconfidential.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel this hedge of protection around me already, Miriam! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  3. Great post! I pray God gave you the ability to resist the temptation of the chocolate. Chocolate is one of my greatest weaknesses. Praying for you!

    God Bless,
    Patti P (OBS Group 40)

    ReplyDelete

As always, feedback for any post is greatly appreciated.