Pages

January 16, 2014

A Verse For Life

Big Bay on Lake Michigan near Traverse City, Michigan
I came to know the Lord later in life, in my late 40's. There was a lot of road under my tires, so to speak.

A lot of life lived without a moral compass.

A lot of wandering, seemingly without purpose.

And yet, after becoming one of God's own, when I looked back at all of the years, I could see the hand of God firmly placed in the timeline.

To my eyes, I had been wandering aimlessly. But in the eternal plan, God was orchestrating every single event of my life. My free will was choosing the wrong things, yet God using those choices for my eventual good, for salvation.

One day I was asked about my "life verse" during a gathering of ladies at my brand new home church. I didn't know what that dear lady was talking about, being a "newbie" Christian and all. She kindly explained that a life verse is a scripture that I would turn to in times of uncertainty, or times of rejoicing, or even during times of grief. And that I didn't really need to have one if I didn't want one!

However after a bit of head scratching, I settled on Jeremiah 29:11, a verse that had echoed in my mind many, many times after reading it:

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." ESV

Those words are a reminder to me that God has things neatly under His divine control. As I pray for the salvation of other family members and friends, I remember Jeremiah 29:11 and I don't fret. 

Hope is there for everyone.


11 comments:

  1. What a great testimony! I look forward to doing this study with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Stephanie! I am excited to begin as well!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your testimony. I am excited about this bible study and looking forward to it! Dropping in from the BlogHop :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look for your blog next Thursday, razella!

      Delete
  3. Yup, Jer 29:11 was also one of mine as well. Such a wonderful story! Look forward to fellowship more with everyone!
    ~jess
    http://jesslivinginfaith.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!!! I am looking forward to this study also!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shantay, more than 30,000 of us are joining hands and hearts - isn't that incredible??!!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for reminding me of this verse. I'm looking forward to this study. I know how to lose weight, I've done it many times. My problem is keeping it off. I'm at an all time high in my weight. I need God's help figuring out how to be successful at reaching and maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle. May God bless you on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the head knowledge is never enough. As a teacher, I grew in the profession as my heart opened up to the art of teaching. The same with my battles with Satan - my heart needs to be right before my actions will follow. i am trusting God in this, big time! Take care, Sandy.

      Delete
  6. Jeremiah 29:11 is my life verse, too. It is so comforting to know that He has a plan, even when we don't =) Thank you for sharing!
    Lauren, P31 OBS blog hop team

    ReplyDelete

As always, feedback for any post is greatly appreciated.