Pages

June 8, 2011

Tea Time

My grandmother taught me how to drink tea.
Hot, strong.


Hers was sweetened in the Russian way with strawberry preserves stirred in.
Tea even on the hottest day of the year.
Fortifying, restoring tea.
I kept a box of tea in a cupboard of my classroom. Many cups of tea were sipped at my desk, accompanying my paperwork, the duties of the day. Tea time at home feels a bit different.


Interesting that I became a teacher, a life-calling that was forbidden to my own mother by this same grandmother.
She taught me how to drink tea.


And now I have begun to teach my own granddaughter how to drink tea. 
How to dunk the teabag, to give it a push with a spoon, to pull it up and against the bowl of a spoon and squeeze the last drops of liquid out.
To add a sweetener, perhaps milk, maybe a taste of lemon.
And look what happens if you mix lemon and milk in your teacup! Life lessons.
To take a sip and savor the flavors.


Sipping at life in a slower pace now.
Many pauses in my day.


This gift given to me, this time to use.
In service to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, feedback for any post is greatly appreciated.